Sure, there are plenty of things that you can live without. And when you surround yourself with things you love and that bring you joy, you just feel better and happier.
Here's our list of home design must haves:
1. Art you love. Art stays with you for a lifetime and each piece marks a place and a memory. It's never too late to start collecting. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, it just has to speak to you.
2. An organized bookshelf. Consider the bookshelf an inspirational place to display everything that's uniquely you-then you can personalize and change it over the years as you see fit.
3. A plant. Choose something tall and substantial over many smaller house plants. If you don't have a green thumb, select a botanically correct plant in a fabulous container and place on a pedestal.
4. A comfortable sofa. Life is just too short to sit on an uncomfortable, ill-fitting sofa (or chair for that matter). Do both your feet rest comfortably on the floor? How is the arm height? A great sofa that offers you rest and relaxation is priceless. And a beautiful fabric doesn't hurt, either.
5. A collection. If you haven't already, start a collection of things you adore. It's wonderful to pick up things you love from your travels-especially art and furniture. From clocks to mirrors to plates to teapots, the possibilities are endless. Vintage or new, a collection on display is a terrific conversation starter.
6. Two bedside tables. A bedside table on each side provides optimal personal balance and a neat, cohesive look. They don't have to match but they need to be large enough for a lamp and ideally good storage.
7. A luxurious throw. An attractive throw is an investment that adds a finishing touch to your sofa or chair. Drape over an ottoman for a stylish look. Chenille yarn is a favorite and lighter weight throws do well in the Hill Country's climate year 'round.